Happy New Year to one and all in the #sqlfamily. Hopefully 2021 will be a fantastic year for all of us, with vaccines, actual human interaction, and a chance to really grow our community into something that we’re all proud of.
It’s #TSQLTuesday time again, and this month your invitation is coming to you from sunny South Africa. As always, a huge thanks to Adam Mechanic (b|t) and Steve Jones (t|b) for conceptualizing, and hosting the website for, our monthly blog party! The rules for participating are at bottom of this post.
Breaks are critical for our mental health. Write a post about relaxation techniques, dream destinations, vacation plans or anything else relating to taking a break for your own mental health.
TAKING A BREAK
2020 was a tough year. And there’s no guarantee that 2021 will be better. Hopefully it is, or at the very least, hopefully our experience in surviving 2020 will allow us to be more prepared.
In the early months of the pandemic, I was burning myself out. South Africa was in a hard lockdown, and we were prohibited from doing many of the things I usually do outside of work. Sport, exercise (outside the house), socialising, and choir were all banned. Additionally, my wife is an Emergency Physician, and at a high-risk of becoming infected, so we isolated at home as much as we possibly could.
With all this time on my hands, and no sport on TV, I started working crazy hours to keep myself occupied. And even when I wasn’t working, I was spending time in front of a screen; watching TV, browsing social media, even having a chat with my parents or friends was happening in front of a screen.
Before long, I was feeling lethargic, listless, and honestly, very down. I was struggling to provide emotional support for my wife when she needed it most, and I realized I was burned out. I knew that I needed to change something… which I will write about next week (but here are some pictures to whet your appetite).
For T-SQL Tuesday #133, I’d like to know about your own views on vacations, escapes or other breaks. Whether it’s work, technology, or any other situation that you need to get away from. Plans, memories, or relaxing activities, I want them all!
You can choose any of the topics below, or any other variation on the theme.
- What do you do to take a break when you’re stuck at home?
- How do you switch off, and get away from being connected 24/7?
- If money was no issue, what would be your bucket list vacation?
- What vacation are you dreaming of taking once it is safe to do?
- What is the best vacation you’ve ever had?
T-SQL TUESDAY RULES
Please submit your T-SQL Tuesday blog URL in the comments, and ensure to comply with the following:
- Include the T-SQL Tuesday logo, and have the logo link back to this blog post.
- Your blog post must be published on Tuesday, January 12, 2020. Doesn’t matter which time zone you’re in, if you publish it on the 12th, I will include it.
- If you don’t see your post in trackbacks, please add the link to the comments below.